Draw a Bird Day – Going Eraser-less!

Happy day after Draw a Bird Day!

Flocks and flocks of Bohemian Waxwings visited Edmonton this winter and I took many, many photos of them feasting on berries and flying in and out of trees and bushes. A few photos turned out well, with interesting poses and enough detail to be drawing-worthy. I was super excited to do some quick, fun sketches, but I soon realized this wasn’t going to happen since each line I drew was being erased and redrawn at least once. And I was getting frustrated. Maybe my sketching would flow better if I stopped erasing. One line, one chance. What would that look like?

I grabbed a non-erasable pen and a little stack of printer paper and started drawing some heads. Not bad! That fun feeling started to take over and I grabbed some markers to make the bold and colourful face patterns happen. After a few faces, I was ready to ink a whole waxwing!

1. Great captures, Myr. I loved to watch Bohemian Waxwings when we lived in Anchorage. They are rare in Colorado, but luckily, we get Cedar Waxwings here. All waxwings are velvety wonders.

1. Like you we in Calif. only get the Cedar which is pretty great, but I would love to see both. 🙂

2. Wonderful sketches Myriam.

3. Wow, wow, wow!!! I can’t draw this well without much agony, erasing, tearing up, and starting over a thousand times, so gave up and asked for a light table for Christmas. He-Man gave me one, and I used it to trace out my scene or subject a couple of time and LOVE it! What a time saver! Now I can do what I love most make images with my camera and transfer the ones I want to easily to watercolor paper and paint to my hearts delight.

I was so terrified the first time my first sketching/drawing teacher had us draw without lifting the PEN! A PEN!! Not a pencil a PEN! Doug Wright. The BEST art teacher I ever had. He’s in Heaven now painting with the Masters I’m sure. He’s missed here I can tell you.

I need to get my studio together so I can paint again. I’ve been dreading the work that will take and putting it off. My paints and brushes keep calling me though. One day soon I will heed that call and be a mad woman getting my new studio/work room space together. Right now it’s only set up for still life photography. My heart really lies there. Truth. 🙂
    You’re always be the better artist because you stuck with it, and got it right trying, and trying without an eraser! I confess I’m a wee bit envious, but do admire your skill and am cheering you on for the wonderful outcome!
    I think they’re print worthy. I do like printed studies so I’m a bit bias. 🙂

4. A bold move, and wonderful results!

5. Just beautiful, Myr! Even though I don’t get around to reading blogs much these days, it’s always a joy to see your art and how you’ve continued to hone your skills when I do get to pop over and look. Hope you are keeping well, my friend!

6. Hi. I got your 1-2-3- test blog in my email because I subscribe. But the link went to “Page not found.” Even though at the top it had your usual page links (About, birds, photography, etc).
    Just wanted you to know.