Draw a Bird Day – Magpie in Flight

Happy DADABD (Day After Draw a Bird Day)! Thanks to Ron Dudley of Feathered Photography for letting me use his image of a Black-billed Magpie attacking a Swainson’s Hawk as a reference. I love the flight position! I used other photos to help me whimsically assign colours to the feathers.

Black-billed Magpies are the birds I see the most in my Edmonton neighbourhood these days, hopping in front yards or on sidewalks. The juveniles’ tail feathers are still shorter than those of the adults. And the adults look a bit sickly, as they are moulting into a new year of feathers.

1. Brilliant capture of beauty in movement.

2. I love the color scheme, and the in flight position.

1. Thanks, Deborah! 🙂 My first drawing of wings in flight!!!

3. The black feathers do look that way in the light…(K)

1. I tried to be whimsically realistic. 🙂 I’d initially thought about making a black and white drawing but I think the most magical feature of a magpie is the green, blue and purple iridescence of their feathers.

1. Definitely magical.

4. Lovely. Aren’t magpies fun? They are a favorite of mine.

1. Thanks, Melissa! 🙂 I find them beautiful, smart and comically loud. Glad you like them too!

5. Don’t you think it’s smiling?

1. Maybe… at least on the inside. 🙂 I can imagine it getting pleasure from its success at disturbing the hawk using its fast and skill flight maneuvers.

6. Wonderful! Catches the Magpie spirit well.