Atlantic Puffins

Atlantic puffin drawing

My blogging friend Sébastien Palud went to Iceland in June of 2015 and has been publishing his experiences as a little illustrated dictionary. So far, he’s written and illustrated A through O with poetic descriptions and spectacular photographs of immense, other-worldly landscapes and comparatively tiny plants and animals (lots of birds!!!). For the lettre M, he included a series of beautiful photographs of Atlantic Puffins (Macareux Moines, Fratercula arctica).

I had a wonderful time drawing “Symétrie”. Many thanks to Seb for letting me use his enchanting photograph. Hopefully, I will see puffins some day too…

1. So beautiful, love your colours and your unique style!

2. Love it! It looks like a successful combination of different art styles! Plus, you can’t go wrong with puffins. 😀

1. Thanks, Teresa :-)! Yes, puffins are very drawing-genic!

3. Salut Myriam, Woaw c’est un super cadeau que tu me fais là, tout l’honneur est pour moi tu sais ! J’aime beaucoup ton style, c’est vraiment chouette (sans jeu de mot), ta façon de styliser la mer, l’herbe… et ces couleurs, c’est vraiment top ! Sur un vitrail, avec la lumière éclairant tout ça, ça serait du plus bel effet 🙂 Merci encore, la prochaine fois, j’espère que tu auras le plaisir de reproduire une de tes photographies de ce si bel animal 😉 Je croise les doigts en tout cas pour ça arrive un de ces 4 🙂
    A très bientôt !
    Amitiés
    Seb

1. Salut Seb :-). Merci pour ton super gentil commentaire. Je suis heureuse que le dessin te plaît. Un jour j’aurai une impression plus 3-D et paysagère de ces oiseaux… Merci encore d’avoir partagé tes magnifiques photos!

4. Well done, Myriam. That photograph is magical. Beautiful creature!

1. Thanks, Shannon :-). Yeah, that photo… those puffins… dreamy! I haven’t had time to see your latest birding excursions yet… I’m looking forward to them. New birds and places!

5. This is stunning! The amount of tiny details you put in your drawings is amazing!
    I’d love to see Atlantic Puffins live and in the wild one day. I’ve only seen Tufted Puffins which was fantastic, but you know I want to see all varieties. 🙂

1. Lol :-D! I love your enthusiasm about “seeing all varieties”! Where did you see Tufted Puffins (cool!!!)? Thanks so much for your lovely compliment :-). Hopefully, there are Atlantic Puffins in our future…

1. I went on a Pelagic Birding tour where we sailed out to the Farallon Islands and there were several hanging around the islands. I was so excited to see them!

1. Neat! I’d never heard of the Farallon Islands so I googled them. Sounds like a beautiful trip. 🙂

6. The puffins are such beautiful and unique-looking birds, and you captured their magic here so well, Myriam. Often they are in cold settings and sometimes the weather and surrounding colors can be a little less than vibrant, so what it so great about your drawing is the boldness and brightness.

1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Jet :-). Good point about the weather! I’m glad Seb got lucky with the weather when he visited the puffins.