Siblings

20160708-074136c

Juvenile American coot siblings preening on the northeast side of the “Children’s Hospital Pond”, on July 8th 2016.

I saw my first young American coots this year. Four pairs of coots raised a clutch at the “Children’s Hospital Pond”. It was soooo exciting!!!

1. They look so soft! I think the chicks and juveniles are so much better looking than the adults.

Liked by 2 people

1. Birds are so soft. I’ve only touched preserved ones, in my Zoology lab last semester. So soft!

I like the variety of the three different looks. But I find the chicks the most adorable when they flap their little wing stumps when their parents feed them. Squee! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. This is a beautiful shot!

3. Aw, they are so cute! What a wonderful shot!

1. Thanks very much, Melissa :-)!

4. J’adore cette photo, superbe !!! Merci Myriam 😉
    Amitiés
    Seb

Liked by 2 people

1. Merci pour tous tes super-gentils commentaires, Seb :-). Je n’ai pas pris le temps de faire un commentaire à propos de tes merveilleux macareux mais j’y cours tout de suite. Ils sont spectaculairement magnifiques!!!

À la joie des oiseaux!

1. Merci à toi pour ces magnifiques partages Myriam 😉 A la joie des oiseux comme tu dis si bien ! 🙂
        Amitiés
        Seb

5. I’ve seen probably thousands, maybe millions, of coots in my life but I have never seen baby ones…squeeeee! ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Millions!!! Wow! I’ll try to post some baby ones soonish. The grey ones are teenagers. Still cuddly though <3.

I read the first page of The Weight of the Universe on Kathy Temean’s blog. I liked the mood you set and was curious to find out what happens to your character next. I think you used words beautifully to create that sense of separation and the different ways it shows up in your story. Have you finished the story yet?

1. Millions might be a slight exaggeration (though I’ve been to many ponds/water areas where they number in the thousands so over my lifetime, I might have seen a million…LOL!). I’ve not seen juvies either, so these will do (and I’ll count them as babies because, goodness, now that I’m in my 50s, I’m starting to see how teens are really just babies…some more mature than others, granted). 😉

1. Lol :-D! Age is relative. But also not relative…

6. Oh wow!! They’re so cute! I’d be so excited, too. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks, Hazel :-). Happy to share bird photos and stories with you!

7. Thank you for the follow!

1. My pleasure :-). Your opossum photos are beautiful, and I’ve never seen one in “real life”. Your baby bird photos are also a treat!

1. Thanks for such a nice compliment Myriam!

8. What a marvellous shot! They looks so fragile and adorable. Wonderful composition.

1. Thanks :-). So glad you enjoyed the photo.

9. I have observed thousands of coots, but have never seen the chicks. Truly adorable, Myriam, thanks so much.

1. Oh, the wee chicks are sooooo cute when they flap their little wing stubs to beg for food! I hope you do get to see some… or other new wonderful creatures. I know you will definitely get around to the latter ;-). Thanks for your lovely comment, Jet! 🙂

10. […] later, they were the proud parents of at least 7 coot chicks, two of which were photographed in my last post (those chicks are about 42 days old). Unlike ducks, coots do not have penises, so a male passes his […]