Draw-a-Bird-Day: Rufous-tailed jacamar

img_5288e

I was happy to see that a bunch of people posted bird drawings today. So, I thought I’d join in the fun with a Rufous-tailed jacamar. I drew it back in February from Audubon’s Bird: The Definitive Visual Guide and added a green background with Photoshop today.

1. Nice! Wish I could draw!

1. Thanks, Andy! πŸ™‚ Have you tried drawing from a photo and using a grid (on photo and drawing paper)? It makes it easier to get the proportions right.

1. No, but I just might try thatπŸ˜ƒ

2. Such vivid, beautiful colors on this fellow. Glad you had time to make it πŸ™‚

1. Thanks, Carol! πŸ™‚ I had fun with the bright colours.

3. This is so beautiful! I love the highlight in the eye, and the vivid colors. It’s good to see you blogging! I’ve missed you.

1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Deborah! πŸ™‚ I missed you too. Glad you are still painting birds and photographing them. Your paintings and photos are always a visual treat!

1. Thank you so much for that lovely comment Myriam!

1. Thanks, Susan! πŸ™‚ I was super delighted to see your adorable duckling.

4. Bold, bright and beautiful Myr! Love it!

5. You are developing a wonderful style~I love this~

1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Melissa :-)! It makes me wonder what I will draw next. Maybe during the Christmas holidays.

1. I’m looking forward to it πŸ™‚

6. You captured the brilliance of the jacamar nicely, Myriam. Much like hummingbirds, they are colorful and quick.

1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Jet :-). So cool that you recently posted about your real-life, Rufous-tailed jacamar sighting. Your adventure stories are like dreams which could become real some day. Some day…

1. It was this drawing that inspired me to write it, Myriam. You really did a great job of embodying the bird’s bright spirit. Thank you!

1. Thanks, Jet. I’m touched. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

7. What a pretty bird, Myriam! So colourful and bright. Plus I like how you drew the branch. πŸ™‚

1. Thanks, Hanna! I tried not to give the bird all my attention. Branches are cool too. πŸ™‚

8. […] WordPress blogger Myriam’s drawing of the jacamar. […]

1. Thanks :-)! I try to draw pretty birds.

9. Your drawings are beautiful. I have only ever managed stick figures. 😦

1. Thank you, Tanja :-). I’m sure that if you drew a duck it wouldn’t look like a stick figure ;-). It takes a lot of practice and handy tips learned from other people to draw what one sees as one sees it. It is surprisingly hard… more for some people… because the brain likes to save time by abstracting out details.

1. That’s probably true. More like a melon body with an apple for its head and a banana for its beak. πŸ™‚

1. Lol! Sounds wonderfully original! πŸ™‚