Warbling Vireos

The Sunday before last (July 24th), I felt a deep, unsatisfactory lack of vireo sightings in my life. I know this registers at a whopping 0.0001 on the life-threatening scale, but I was remembering other people’s photos of Calgary vireos and I really, really wanted to be one of those people too. Internet to the rescue! I found some photos of warbling and red-eyed vireos on the Birds Calgary blog, many of them taken at Carburn Park. So that’s where I went!

Along the trail between the Bow River and the middle pond, I heard many little birds in the mature balsam poplars and in the bushes beneath them. They were hard to spot and when I did spot one, it would fly away or move continuously from one partially camouflaged branch to another. When I finally saw a vireo, it was with two others of its kind. I took 6 unfocused photos (so many branches in the way!!!) and on the 7th try, my camera decided to focus on a bird. Yay! I walked up the trail on the other side of the bushes to see if I could get a better view, but all I got were a few more quick glimpses. So I went home with one clear photo of two warbling vireos. Success!

I also enjoyed watching the cormorants that were sunning, swimming, fishing or flying along the Bow River, just north of Carburn Park.

1. Cheers for your tenacity! Terrific capture, not even thinking of the odds the camera would actually focus on what you were really looking for and not all the branches and leaves in between. It is not as if the small birds flitting from spot to spot are easy to find, they have to be subtle in color as well…which makes the sighting all the more special. Congratulations on finding your Vireo…and not just one but 2!

1. Thanks for your vireo appreciation, Haunani :-)! I’ve seen a few more since then, in different places. I like the way the sun looks on their creamy bellies.

2. Yay for vireo success! And that’s a great photo of a bird butt, too! ;D

1. Thanks, Teresa :-)! Always handy to know what a bird’s butt looks like ;-).

3. Hooray for you success and Vireo Happiness!

4. It’s great that you got the photo, Myriam! And it’s lovely photo. 🙂

5. I love this story, Myriam. Great photo too, so clear the cobwebs are visible.

1. Thanks, Jet :-)! Filtered sunlight makes lovely lighting.

6. I’m so happy you were able to fill your vireo -sized hole in your life, Myriam 🙂 That is so satisfying, and you got a wonderful photo. Will you paint it? That would be neat. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a vireo. One of these days I will take my eye off the leaves and gaze at the birds!

1. Thanks for appreciating my vireo moments and photo, Melissa :-). Like leaves, it is a treat to meet birds in person. The subtle colours of the vireos and the bright greens of the leaves would be lovely to paint. I may have to wait a while though. I’m going back to school in September and I’m sure that will keep me quite busy. I’m going for a second BSc – in Ecology. Your blog, comments and book recommendations were a big inspiration. Thank you :-)!

1. Really? That is AMAZING! I am so excited for you. Best wishes and if I can help in any way please let me know 🙂