Flicker kiss

20160412-100805b

Northern Flickers usually peck at the ground for insects (mmm, nutritious ant larvae!) but occasionally they peck at trees. They do excavate nest holes in dead or diseased tree trunks. However, I don’t think this male was excavating a nest. The tree trunk was riddled with little holes and the Flicker pecked the trunk in a few different places. He didn’t enter the large hole on his right but he did poke his head in for a bit.

Before the kiss:

20160412-100737b

I saw this Northern Flicker at Bowmont Park on April 12, 2016 while walking a path along the Bow River.

1. So beautiful and I love the smoothness of the bird against the rough texture of the tree. Wonderful stuff! šŸ’œ

1. Thanks so much, Laura :-)! That is a rough tree!

2. I had one in my crabapple tree this last winter. I think they are beautiful! Great photos! šŸ™‚

1. Thanks so much, Jill :-)! Nice to know you see them too. I think they are beautiful too, especially when they fly and their wing and tail underfeathers become visible.

1. Thanks for appreciating the spots :-). I like them too!

3. Once in a while they will drop one of their beautiful spotted feathers for you to keep.

1. :-). Do you have a feather collection? I’ve been thinking of starting one…

4. Such a great photo! I like its rosy cheeks šŸ™‚

1. Thanks, Carol :-). He does have beautiful cheeks!

5. What a cool bird! It’s beautiful! šŸ˜

1. Thanks for appreciating Mr. Flicker, Charlie :-). I like seeing and hearing his kind around my city.

6. Really wonderful photos of the flicker, Myriam. You captured him using his tail for stability.

1. Thanks for your lovely compliment, Jet. Glad you enjoyed the photos. Mr. Flicker does have a wonderfully functional tail. šŸ™‚