Happy Mother’s Day and Draw-A-Bird-Day!

Black-winged Stilt - Pen and ink and colour pencils

Black-winged Stilt – Pen and ink and colour pencils

Joyeuse Fête des Mères mami!!! Merci pour ton affection maternelle et ton amitié.

I drew the Black-winged Stilt and nest from a photo in Audubon’s Bird – The Definitive Visual Guide about a month ago. I thought the nest would make this drawing a perfect Mother’s Day post. However, I can’t tell if the bird in the photo is a male or female. I don’t think the book authors can tell either, since the bird is labelled “Adult Black-winged Stilt”. Both the male and female of the species spend time incubating the eggs. And when the chicks hatch, they are fed by both parents.

The Black-winged Stilt is an “Old World” bird. It has one close relative in the Americas, the Black-necked Stilt. I’ve never seen a Black-winged Stilt in real life but I did see a few Black-necked Stilts when I visited The Gilbert Water Ranch in Gilbert, Arizona last December.

Laura at Create Art Everyday is back as host of Draw-A-Bird-Day this month. Thanks Laura! Check out her beautiful May bird here and links to other bird drawings will be sprinkled throughout the Comments section.

1. Oh my, you’ve knocked another painting/drawing out of the park! This is wonderful! Your eye for detail, and the skill you have for drawing and painting birds is amazing! The colors are vibrant, and so complimentary. I love that over the shoulder look, and its eye.

Black-necked Stilts are among my favorites when it comes to eyes. Their eyes seem so kind to me. Killdeer are my next favorite set of eyes, followed by Deer. But those are interchangeable as to order as I love them all! 🙂

I hope you frame this one too! I hope you had a wonderful day!

1. Thank you so much for your lovely compliments, Deborah :-)! I was lucky to have such an exquisite photo to work with. I wanted an interesting bird and background so I could have fun drawing both details. The drawing is quite small (about 3.5 by 4 inches) so it didn’t take me for-ehver to colour.

Funny thing about killdeer eyes. I only recently noticed that their eyes are brown and not red. For some reason, I was always blurring the red orbital feathers into the iris. My brain has now sorted out this glitch! I find plover eyes in general quite sweet :-). I don’t have much experience observing Black-necked Stilts but they look like such lovely birds in other peoples photos (especially those with a parent and a little one). I observe Mallards a lot and I find the females’ eyes often look kind and caring and something about their face markings gives the impression that they are smiling lightly.

Hope you are having a wonderful time in NY!!!

1. Thank you Myriam! I’m so excited! I need to start packing!

2. I like this one a lot. The bird’s body as it crouches over the eggs, starkly black against white and with an eye watching the viewer, seems imposing and gives a sense of them being actively guarded.

1. Thanks for your appreciation and your beautifully worded description, Josh :-). I’m glad I managed to capture the mother’s protective stance and look. It was an interesting picture to work with.

3. The colors are so fresh and clean! Simple and clear, nicely done. (K)

1. Thanks for your lovely compliments, Kerfe :-)!

4. Omg, Myriam! Holy goodness, are you sure you’re not a reincarnated graphic designer and illustrator?! Man, you make it look easy. This is freaking awesome,lady! Such vibrancy and life and what a tremendous composition is this? Totally love. And thanks for the mention. You ROCK! I’ve often said your artwork is the best thing to come out of DABD and no joke!

1. Thanks for your sweet compliments, Laura :-)! I have to admit I found drawing grass and nest straw a bit hard! I examined the photograph really closely to see what was going on with all those strands. It was a fun and interesting new challenge though. I think it is pretty awesome that DABD got me drawing again. And it is even more awesome that you inspired so many other people to join in for DABD and try all kinds of fun new art materials.

1. Thanks, Myriam. I can’t really seem to help it. Enthusiasm overflows! I’m really glad that so many love birds as I do and wanted to join in!

1. Your enthusiasm does seem delightfully natural. Thank you for sharing it! 🙂

5. What a fabulous bird portrait! Love the look of this! Perfect for Mother’s Day! 😍

1. Thanks for your awesome compliments, Charlie :-)! So glad you like my birdy and almost-birdies.

6. Love your artamd photos, and love Black-necked Stilts! We once saw a huge group doing something that looked like synchronized water ballet…LOL!

1. Thanks, Teresa 🙂 <3! A Black-necked Stilt synchronized water ballet sounds awesome. A "classic" ballet with people dressed as Black-necked Stilts and other birds would be cool too.

7. Myriam, what a wonderful drawing. I’m pulled in and I want to investigate every inch.

1. Thanks so much Sharon :-). Hope you had fun exploring the little world among the grasses.

8. I wonder if this bird was named this because it’s legs look like stilts? 😉 Lovely drawing – your birds keep getting better and better!! And Your photos are stunning, Myriam!! YAY! 🎨👍

1. Hmm, I don’t know, but it sure sounds like a very good reason to call these birds stilts! 😀 Thanks for your lovely compliments. I’m thrilled that you liked my long-legged cuties.

9. I love your posts because of the combination of beautiful art, interesting information, and intriguing links! I have clicked on some of them and so I thank you for introducing me to other interesting blogs!

1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, Gwen :-). I’m so pleased that you enjoy my blog and that you have discovered other awesome blogs through some of the links here! I’m not super keen on textiles but I love your nature photography and writing on Little Wild Streak. You meet so many beautiful and interesting animals on your walks! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

1. Yes, there are so many interesting topics out there and we only have time for a few, and they can become all-consuming. I’m glad we share one interest. 🙂

1. Oh! I really wish I had time for all the marvelously interesting topics out there! At least I have time for a few. 🙂

10. […] Myriam at Myr’s Bites contributed a lovely bird illustration, also in mixed media […]

11. Got here in a rather roundabout way and love your illustration – even if I didn’t want terribly to see a stilt in “real life.” Wonderful work!

1. Thanks for visiting and leave such a nice comment, Lynn. Your photography is beautiful and some of your Washington state photos brought back good memories. 🙂