Coyotes in the brush

Looking for grouse in the knee high brush in front of the Alberta Children’s Hospital, I saw a small, light-beige rectangle way off in the distance. Tree stump? I really wanted it to be some kind of animal, so I took out my camera and zoomed in. Maybe a lynx??? (Wishful thinking – at camera display screen size, the face above could possibly, maybe belong to a lynx.) The eyes, nose and ears turned sideways and the face was clearly dog-like.

I saw another light-beige blob on the right and zoomed in. A second coyote!

I really, really, really wanted to get closer. They were quite far, so I thought they might stay put if I moved a bit closer. They were definitely watching me. I walked in a big zig-zag and didn’t stare at them the whole time. Do you see the coyote face in the upper right corner of the image? Great camouflage!

One of the coyotes stood up and walked toward the other one. The Rocky Mountains in the background are about a 1 hour drive away.

Moving through the brush. The coyote blends into his/her surroundings so well.

Two faces looking at me.

The coyote who moved earlier moved again and decided to watch me from a more open area.

He/she also obliged me with left and right profiles. I think this was the best one.

And then the coyote went back to doing what he/she was doing before I arrived.

I’d seen two grouse-looking birds earlier and was hoping to find them again. Coyotes were a great alternate surprise! The grouse-looking birds turned out to be two female grey partridges after I did some research at home. Grey partridges are not native to North America but were introduced from Eurasia.

1. They are so well camouflaged! Probably a mated pair with several hungry mouths to feed. Maybe they’ll feed on partridge tonight!
    Beautiful to see the mountains in the background.

1. Maybe they did eat one of the partridges :-D! There was only one partridge when I visited the park the next day. You’re likely right about them being a mated pair. I read that coyotes mate in February and March and have a gestation period of about 60 days, so perhaps they have young ones already… or the female is very pregnant.

2. Even though their howls indicate that they are really close and they can wake us up in the middle of the night, I don’t get to see them very often and I’m always thrilled when I get to. I loooove your photos so much! They are such a handsome couple!

1. I’m so glad you get coyote thrills too. I like that there are animals leading mostly secret lives in the mostly immobile plant landscape. Thanks for appreciating my photos <3!

1. Just after I say I don’t see them very much, we saw 3 of them trotting through our front yard in broad daylight yesterday!

I love everything you post! 🙂

1. Three coyotes! Great timing.

Blog love back at you 🙂 !

1. ❤ I'm just grateful we have electric fencing for the chickens right now. 🙂

3. Those coyotes really do blend in well within those fields. What good eyes you must have! Great photos!

1. I like it when rocks or branches turn out to be animals :-). Thanks for your kind words.

4. Good eye seeing them while they were out far! They blend in so well when still. Great series and really neat pair!

1. I was surprised to zoom in a see a coyote face. I like it when I get lucky like that :-)! Thanks for your lovely compliment!

1. You walked with the Coyote Spirit that day! I love it when that happens too. It’s really special.

5. Amazing photographs! What a thrill to see these animals going about their daily business.

1. Thanks for your lovely compliment Michael :-). I’m glad you enjoyed the photos! Coyote sightings do add a thrill to my morning walks. Do you get any unexpected wildlife watching opportunities in your area?

1. The occasional deer is about as exotic as it gets here in the east of England!

1. I have yet to see a deer with full grown antlers. So that would be super cool! I noticed a couple of males with little antler buds yesterday.

6. Wow! We have them around here but I never have a chance to see them this close.

1. I’ve gotten lucky a couple of times this year :-).

1. Amazing and beautiful, thank you.

1. So glad you enjoyed the coyote photographs, Judith. Thanks for your lovely comment! 🙂

7. Wow, how beautiful! I love coyotes. Went to the Rockies recently and hoped to see them, but didn’t. What a nice surprise to see them, I just love when that happens.

1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Hazel :-)! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the photos and are a fan of seeing coyotes. I’ve seen one coyote twice more in this area. A beautiful creature to walk through the field with. Looks like you saw some other beautiful wildlife on your Rockies trip. I enjoyed your story and photos.

1. I’ve only seen them once or twice in passing (or, sadly, dead on the side of the road), nothing like the experience you had! I’m looking forward to seeing your future birds and other urban wildlife. 🙂

8. […] a week. A large part of the park consists of knee-high brush and grasses, where I photographed a couple of coyotes in early April. April’s bird sounds consisted mostly of the calls of gulls flying overhead and the songs of […]