Bald eagles

eagles

Bald eagles have light beige borders on their dark brown wing feathers if you look closely. I’ve never taken a close enough photograph myself to capture those details but I did see a few wonderful photographs recently which show the scalloping. These two eagles were photographed by Tina Kirschner and appeared in a recent blog post by Sharon McInnes on www.birdcanada.com. They are one of the eagle pairs that nest on the coast of Gabriola Island, off the eastern coast of Vancouver Island.

I traced the black lines with my Superfine Pitt pen over a pencil drawing. Then I took a picture of the pen drawing and added a few colours with Photoshop. I noticed that the pen lines in my photograph don’t look smooth, they look quite pixelated. I’ll figure out how to photograph smooth pen lines some day… I’m slowly adding more realistic colours to the pen drawing with my Polychromos colour pencils. I’ll post that version when I finish it.

Stephanie Rickman posted some beautiful flying eagles on her blog In My Eyes in February too. Their wings look like another fun drawing project. Maybe…

Thanks to Kerfe and Nina at Method Two Madness for hosting this month’s Draw A Bird Day. And thanks to Laura at Create Art Everyday for starting the monthly event last April. Yes, this is the twelfth month!!! And thanks to M. R. Emberson at A-wing and A-way for posting about the yearly event. And thanks to everyone who drew birds today!!!

1. Beautiful drawing of such amazing birds. Thank you for sharing this and the links.

1. Thank you Haunani :-). I enjoyed spending some time getting to know them a bit better.

2. I enjoy your drawings and wish I had some of your artistic talent! Thank you for my blog shout-out:-)

1. Thanks Stephanie :-). Your photos of flying eagles are just dreamy. I’ll let you know when I draw one.

3. The contrast of the line detail and the flat color is very striking. I’ll be interested to compare to the pencil drawing. (K)

1. The colour pencil drawing has quite a different look. I was thinking of painting over the ink but I’m still quite tentative with watercolours. Colour pencils are a more relaxing choice for me.

4. Lovely , Myriam! They’re so majestic, the eagles. Thanks for the mention too and I’m so glad you are arting and sharing! :)))

1. Thanks Laura :-). They are the biggest birds I’ve drawn so far. It was neat to notice the particular curve of their beak and to hang out with their feathers for a really long time. I’d also never quite noticed their eye colour before or the colour around their eyes. A good exercise in observation! I’m really glad you started this monthly event. Pretty cool that next month starts year 2! I like the surprise of the different birds that people draw and all the different styles.

1. Isn’t it cool? And I’m so glad you’re joining us regularly. You’re so good!!!

1. Oh my, not so good 😀 ! But very nice of you to say. I do try to make pretty birds. And I’m learning a lot from drawing and also looking at other people’s drawings. You posted a link to an interesting artist recently – Lisa Clough (Lachri Fine Art). I watched a few of her Youtube videos. Her comparison of Polychromos and Prismacolor pencils was very interesting, as was her use of paint thinner on her colour pencil drawings. I watched her draw a golden eagle. Mind blowing!

1. She really is amazing and a great teacher too Myriam!

1. True :-). Her artwork and her teaching skills are excellent. Lucky us!

5. Fantastic. I love the intricacy of the feather detail.

1. Thanks Shannon :-). It was a compelling challenge!

6. Oh, cool! A new style of drawing for you! It’s a nice way to do the details in the feathers!

1. Thanks Teresa :-). I like ink for sharp details. I haven’t figured out how to be subtle with a pen yet. Erasing my messy pencil lines after drawing in ink is always a treat!

1. I hear ya! I have a big pile of eraser dust by my work table that I have to vacuum up every couple of days. 😉

7. Myriam, I really like this illustration, especially all the detail in the feathers. Those bald eagles make a picturesque couple! Also, thanks for the link to A-wing and A-way—and the reminder. Something for me to keep in mind—next month is the annual Draw a Bird Day.

1. Thanks M 🙂 ! I’m looking forward to your next post. Your posts are always an interesting surprise. Thanks to you, I now know about oily bird candles.

1. Thanks, Myriam! I really appreciate your kind words! I’m hoping to post something next week, but we’ll see. With warmer weather comes other responsibilities, taking away from blogging time. I’m eager to see what your next bird illustration will be.

8. The pair look fantastic! I really like all the feather detail, and vivid colors. I’m looking forward to seeing your color pencil version.

1. Thanks Deborah 🙂 . The pencil version is slowly coming along. I picked up a 0.1 pen at the art store yesterday. They were out of Microns so I got a Staedtler. It is waterproof as well. I tried the 0.05 pen too. Wow, that was wildly thin!

1. You could do bird and fish eyelashes with the 0.05 pen. 🙂

1. What an excellent idea! I’ll pick one up next time I’m at the art store. 🙂

9. […] (chickadees from Josh at Too Much White Paper) https://myrsbytes.com/2016/03/09/bald-eagles/  (a pair of bald eagles from Myriam ant Myr’s Bytes) […]

10. I’ll send you a close up of a Baldie if you want?

1. Oo, that sounds very cool, thank you. I probably won’t get around to drawing it for a while though, since school keeps me quite busy. My e-mail address is myrpy2@gmail.com