Draw a Bird Day December

Savannah Sparrows are Little Brown Jobs with delightful touches of yellow feathers above their eyes. My illustration has a few extra splashes of yellow… because… I just really seem to like using my yellow coloured pencil. My model was a small 6 by 9 cm (2 1/4 by 3 1/2 inch) photograph in The Atlas of Breeding Birds of Alberta. The small size of the photo was fortunate and unfortunate – I squinted a few times to discern some bird details but the lack of detail made it easier to focus on the main features and draw more quickly. I’ve never seen a Savannah Sparrow in real life, but hopefully I will meet a few next year. They like moist environments with dense ground vegetation, especially longish grasses, and avoid areas with extensive forest cover or short grass. Males are bold and conspicuous in the spring and summer, frequently observed singing from low, exposed perches.

The atlas has lots of nice maps showing the distribution of breeding birds in the province and it also describes Alberta’s 6 main natural regions: Boreal Forest, Canadian Shield, Foothills, Grassland, Parkland and Rocky Mountain.

Other names for the Savannah Sparrow
Scientific Latin: Passerculus sandwichensis
French: Bruant des prés

Monthly Draw-A-Bird days were started by the wonderfully friendly, enthusiastic and creative Laura at Create Art Everyday.

1. Beautiful illustration!

2. Beautifully detailed and lovely bird. Great job. N.

3. Beautifully done! I’ve seen the Savannah Sparrow only once. I hope you get to see it too!

1. Thanks Deborah :-)!

Lucky you for seeing a Savannah Sparrow. I have a good feeling that I will see one next year.

4. Even the wire is beautiful. Sparrows are endlessly fascinating. (K)

1. Thanks Kerfe :-)! I had fun drawing the wire. And I’m slowly learning a bit more about all the little sparrow species that live around me.

5. Absolutely stunning!!

6. Wow, Myriam!!! This is incredible! Sparrows get a bad rap sometimes but they sure are beautiful birds. Really amazing work! I can almost feel the sunshine reflecting off the yellow in his feathers. 😀 Can’t believe you worked with such a small reference. Thanks for flying with us!

1. Oh, thanks so much Laura :-)! I did another drawing from a small photo after this one, then I went to the library to get a birding magazine with big photos! I do like seeing the details.

Always fun to fly with you and the other merry, monthly feather artists!

7. Myriam, a lovely rendering, and as always thank you for your informative narrative.

1. Thanks Sharon :-)! I’m glad you like my little tidbits of information.

8. [&#X1f44d]Felicitation Myriam,

Quel reconfort que ce minuscule oiseau peut ns apporter…Merci

1. Merci 🙂 🙂 :-). Quel plaisir voir ton nom!

eBird me dit que les gens ont vus ces oiseaux sur l’île de Montréal.

9. The detail in this is incredible. Thank you for sharing!

1. Thank you for your lovely comment :-).

10. Catherine Johnson December 10, 2015 at 3:22 AM

Lovely!

11. […] in the morning than on May 2nd, and the sunlight was softer and photo-friendlier. When I drew a Savannah Sparrow in December 2015, from a photo in The Atlas of Breeding Birds of Alberta, I’d never seen one before. From the […]