An inked selfie for #SelfieArt Day and #Inktober!

IMG_9326

I thought I looked a bit lonely in my self-photographs so I decided to use a double-selfie my sister took of her and I at the Bloedel Conservatory earlier this year. It was our first time there and the orchestral bird song and colourful exotic birds kept us in “smile-mode” for about 3 hours. My sister and I sort of look like that. Sort of… I think we look a little less like killer clowns in person. It was an interesting pen exercise. I may pick up a graphic novel or two to learn some pen drawing techniques.

#SelfieArt Day is the brain child of Teresa (One Good Thing) and Kirk (Dumb Sketch Daily). It happens once a month on the 25th! Teresa posts links to the participants a few days later.

1. Very sweet, you look so happy!

Liked by 2 people

1. I had a lot of fun putting the smiling lines in :-).

2. Great black/white interaction. And human interaction! (K)

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks Kerfe :-). I had fun trying to draw a joyful moment

Liked by 2 people

3. Looks like a happy day!! This really great…love the ink effect! πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸ»

Liked by 2 people

4. You’re amazing and oh.so.brave! I’ve only tried pen/ink a few times while in a class. Mine didn’t come nearly as great as this. You and your sister have a treasure here. Print it for both of you and frame it! Wow!

You’re younger than I thought you were. Perhaps you’re an old soul.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks Deborah :-)! I definitely find ink requires a little extra courage from me. I did spend a lot of time drawing all the lines with pencil first though. I like and dislike parts of the drawing, both of which motivate me to try ink again.

How old did you think I was? My mom and sister think I drew my sister and myself as 70 year olds! I think we look a touch older than we are… but really… we both get nice, wrinkly faces when we smile big. I’ll fess up – I’m 37 and my sister is 34. I drew many self-portraits when I was in my early 20s. This is the first self-portrait I’ve drawn since then. I was a bit less keen to stare at my face for a long while ;-).

1. You don’t look like 70 yr olds in that portrait! I get a nice wrinkly face too when I smile.

I don’t how old exactly, but older than you are!

I’ve never been interested in doing a self portrait in any medium!

1. Is your Gravatar a self-portrait? I love your attitude!

1. Hi, Yes, it is. I made it for a “self-portrait” challenge for a photography group I’m in. I thought I’d use it as my Gravatar since mine needed updating. Although I do prefer the old one with the camera hiding my face! πŸ™‚

1. Ah, yes :-). Anonymous photos can be kind of nice. I myself am a mushroom! But for non-anonymous purposes, your self-portrait looks really good.

2. Over on Flickr I think my icon is my logo name with film negative flowing through it. πŸ™‚ Which reminds me I need to do something serious with my logo!

BTW- I wish I was able to find a mushroom like that one to photograph. I’ve seen very few in the wild in my lifetime.

3. Neat logo idea :-).

I saw that mushroom (the lovely Amanita muscaria) many summers ago in the woods about one hour north of Montreal. I liked the way the light and shadows were falling across it. It happened to grow on the edge of the parking spot at my parent’s cabin. After that, I wandered through the woods looking for other mushrooms. I found quite a few varieties… so many shapes and colors. It was fun to photograph them. I haven’t searched for mushrooms since then.

5. That looks like a professional illustration in a book! You are uber talented, my dear!

Liked by 2 people

1. No way! But thanks for the super-positive comment :-)! It is encouraging – I feel like I have the potential to improve.

And thanks for creating SelfieArt Day and inviting me to join. I liked the challenge of drawing something other than a bird. And I had some fun too.

6. I’d imagine it’d be tough to draw a selfie, so congrats on a job well done!

1. Thanks Monica :-). I did have a tough time, but I’m glad I tried. There are some things I don’t like about the drawing, but I really like the way some of the lines turned out. Since I didn’t draw for years and was trepidatious about drawing anything earlier this year, I think did pretty good.

7. I can’t help but smile looking at your drawing! WOW! This is really AWESOME!!! πŸ˜„πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

1. Thanks Jill :-). I’m really glad I managed to capture the joy of the moment.