An owl in the backyard

Exactly one week after I saw my first Great Horned Owl in the Weaselhead Flats, another Great Horned Owl appeared in my backyard. As I was preparing dinner and the evening light was just starting to fade, I looked out the window and saw a large, tree-bark coloured, barrel-shaped bird casually perched on an exposed tree branch. Cool! J and I headed outside and J made gentle hooting sounds to coax the owl to turn its head. When its eyes appeared, I took some photos. It stayed for about two hours. In the fading light, I saw the vague brown silhouette of the owl preening. It mostly stayed still, though 3 and then 5 magpies settled in the tree and squawked at it occasionally.

1. Oh my how wonderful!! What a gift! I hope it likes your tree well enough to not only hunt from, but to spend the day sleeping as well! What a treat!!!

1. I love owl treats! But I don’t think it would like sleeping in my backyard. I imagine it likes a larger cluster of trees. My backyard only has five trees.

2. SQUEEE! It is beautiful! I’m so excited that you got to see it (and just as excited that you took photos so we could see it, too)!

1. Yeah, it was pretty cool to be able to get so close to it. And no branches in the way! And it was fun to share the happening with J. I often bird by myself. And glad you felt some of the excitement too!!!

3. Those feathers are amazing! (K)

1. Great Horned Owl feathers make me think of tree bark. They give me the impression of being animal tree spirits.

1. definitely spiritual.

4. Fantastic photo, love how it is looking at you. What a wonderful experience, thank you for sharing, I hope you have many more.

1. :-D. I like that it is looking right at me while it has its back to me. Wish I could swivel my head like that when I ride my bike.

I’ve always lived in a city with a lot of pavement and just accepted it. Today, I thought it was kind of strange. All this pavement has had quite an impact on how often humans see animals and what animals they see.

5. How beautiful, such a wonderful animal. N.

6. Whoa! That is so neat that it just turned up in your backyard! It’s so fluffy too. I wanna pet it.

1. I’m pretty impressed that its feathers can handle summers and winters in Calgary. I am curious about what the feathers feel like :-).

7. Catherine Johnson October 16, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Wow that’a big owl. It looks like a carpet. So glad you spotted it.

1. It was very nice of the owl to pose for me :-).

8. wonderful bird, you were lucky

9. Oh my gosh, such beauty. It gives me goosebumps to think you were in the presence of the gorgeous creature.

10. Exciting encounter! You got a good shot of him/her despite the fading light. Such lovely feathers, perfect for blending in with trees.

1. Glad it didn’t decide to visit a bit later :-).