Draw a bird day (the May reprise)

I almost wimped out this month, but Laura at Create Art Everyday is such a lovely and enthusiastic blogger that somehow I worked up some motivation this afternoon. Matthias at Wildlife Weeks posted a beautiful picture of a male house sparrow yesterday and I thought I would draw that bird. However, I couldn’t see his legs and I really wanted to draw some legs. So I googled house sparrows and looked at legs. And in the end, I picked a photograph of a house sparrow by Greg Lasley (the second image in the slideshow here).

I drew a grid, so I got the proportions right. But boy is shading hard! I didn’t quite have the patience to get feathery feathers. Also, I think my sparrow may be kneading dough.

IMG_7197

1. yes – I almost made it!!! πŸ˜‰ great drawing!! I should really start trying my drawing skills, too…

1. Thank you :-). I’ll use one of your photographs next time. Your photos are great. I like that you included House Sparrow pictures from Germany and India. You should give drawing a go! I find it fun and challenging, and it makes me notice little details that I wouldn’t notice otherwise.

1. thank you!! πŸ™‚ I am looking forward to your drawings and I am really very happy that you enjoy my blog!! πŸ™‚ I am thinking about extending my blog to also include travel photography and some other things – like art and design… but I don’t really believe yet that I am a very good artist!! πŸ˜‰ anyways, I’ll give it a try…

1. :-)! Your wildlife blog is beautiful, so I’m sure that if you blogged about something else it would be aesthetically pleasing and would only improve with time. Have you thought about starting a different blog to pursue different themes? You could put a link to it on your present blog.

2. Really lovely rendition! And I’m not a fan of House Sparrows. πŸ™‚ I was so busy the last couple of days that I completely forgot it was Draw A Bird Day yesterday. Darn. Will have to wait for next month to join in.

1. Thanks Teresa :-). I really missed your bird. Your A to Z cartoon animals were a blast. I wonder what activity cartoon-House-Sparrow would engage in? Shopping? Or maybe he could be friends with Percival’s 2D projection… if Percival commits to veganism.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks! Percival is a vegan…it’s all nuts and pizza crusts for this squirrel. πŸ˜€

3. This is really impressive work!!! I can’t believe you’re new at this!! Wow, I’m so amazed at the detail here, and that is NOT an easy pose to do either, especially of the tail in the back! Man, this is beautiful! *insert applause emoji here* WOOT!!! πŸ˜€ I’m so glad you joined in with us! Should we do it again next month? What do you think?? I’m blown away by your bird!!

1. Oh my! Wow! Thanks :-D. I did draw frequently a long time ago, mostly human nudes and portraits and some abstract, whimsical stuff. But I quit about a decade ago. I choose to do other things with my time. But so far I’m liking my monthly dabbling in drawing. It’s a fun way to get to know birds a bit better. So I’m totally in for next month! I did go to the art store and look at color pencils but I was overwhelmed by all the single colors. I need to start with a box set… and I wonder how many colors I need to get by. I liked all the different blues you had on your Art Journal post. But I’m not feeling that adventurous yet :-).

1. Those colors were watercolor, but I’m sure the CP versions would be similar. You’re welcome! I’m glad you’re enjoying drawing again. And yay for next month!! :)). Maybe a 12 set to start….you should be able to layer blue and yellow to make green, that kind of thing….to some extent. Good luck, I hope you’ll post some artwork besides on the 8th. πŸ˜‰

1. Oo, oo! I went to the art store yesterday and got 12 color pencils and a small sketchbook. I like the idea of drawing two or three birds before June 8th. Maybe… Thank you so much for your inspiration and encouragement :-).

1. YAY!!!!! Oh, so exciting!!!

4. It’s very good! You wouldn’t want to put much more in the way of feathery details~I think you stopped at a good point.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks Melissa :-). I suppose there are many ways to draw an impression of feathers, some quick and sketchy, and some detailed and meticulous. I went for short little strokes of varying darkness that sorta, kinda gave the impression of a feathery pattern. Only thing I could think of! Maybe some day I will have the patience to try “dot-shading” like your lovely drawing of a prickly pear cactus.

5. I really like this!!! Not only did you do a great job with the sparrow, the background work demonstrates a nice touch!

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you :-). I did some fancy pencil smearing with my eraser ;-).

6. That’s fantastic. I didn’t know you drew! I’ve only ever painted one watercolor — and a quick one at that. It was fun, but I don’t have much of an ‘art’ bone. He’s a beauty.

1. Thanks Shannon :-)! I only draw once a month. I quit a long time ago, but recently I thought it would be fun to acquire some bird drawing skills. I’ve never tried watercolors. But they look so pretty, I hope to get around to it some day. Drawing is a neat way to get to know birds (or other creatures) a little better… or to put a fantastical spin on them :-).